We are big fans of Mexican food at Stay At Home Mum, particularly when that food can be easily prepared like this Slow Cooked Mexican Chicken Quinoa.
This meal is super simple, just prep the ingredients and dump them in the slow cooker, only to return in 4 hours to a delicious dinner.
The flavours are deliciously Mexican, but this is one dinner that can be made easily accessible to both spice lovers and haters. Remember the key with this dish are the toppings! We love to ladle on the grated cheese, sour cream and even coriander. Yum!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 1 Taco Seasoning (35 Grams)
- 400 grams Black Beans one can, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Quinoa rinsed
- 2 Chicken Breast
- 1 tsp Garlic minced
- 2 tsp Chilli Powder optional
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Enchilada Sauce Or Salsa (375 Grams)
- 1 Tomato (400 Grams) or one can, diced
- 1 Sweet Potato (300 Grams) peeled and cubed
- 1 Butternut Squash (300 Grams) peeled and cubed
- 1 Corn Kernels (400 Grams) or one can, drained
- Coat your slow cooker in a mild tasting non-cook spray. Be pretty liberal, you don’t want the quinoa to stick!
- Get the chicken ready by cutting it up into cubes and browning it in a pan. Then pop this into the slow cooker.
- Prepare the butternut squash and the sweet potato by peeling it and cutting it into cubes. Pop this into the slow cooker.
- Add in the corn, the drained and rinsed black beans, the rinsed quinoa (rinse in a find sieve to remove the bitter coating), the minced garlic, the tinned tomatoes, the chilli (either powder or jalepeno), the enchilada sauce, the broth (veggie or chicken) and the packet of taco seasoning.
- Stir everything together and then cook on the high setting for 3-4 hours or until the quinoa is cooked and the butternut and sweet potato are tender.
- Take the lid off and stir everything together again. Put the slow cooker on low and allow the liquid to be absorbed for about 30 minutes.
- Season as preferred with salt and pepper, and top with anything from grated cheese to sour cream and coriander!