Welcome to Stay at Home Mum’s $1 Dollar Dinner Series!
Cheesy Penne Pasta with Mustard Sauce
We are showing you that for just $1 per serve (so $4 per meal as all of our recipes cater to a family of four) CAN be done… And we are starting with a pasta dish, as pasta is cheap, easy and filling. This recipe is also meat free so would suit vegetarians, although adding some greens or steamed vegetables would certainly improve the nutritional value of the meal.
If you aren’t keen on mustard (see my Mustard pun then??) – you can certainly leave it out – and the meal just becomes a Cheesy Pasta. But the mustard powder really gives the cheesy sauce a bit of a kick.
This meal is good for when you really don’t feel like cooking but need to feed the kids something filling and quick.
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 4 cups Penne Pasta (cooked)
- 1 1/2 cups MILK
- 2 tsp Mustard Powder
- 1 cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 Plain Flour
- Cook the penne pasta according to the directions on the packet. Drain.
- In a microwave proof jug, add the tablespoon of butter. Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds or until the butter is melted and bubbling.
- Add the plain flour. Mix well. Place back in the microwave and cook on HIGH for another 20 seconds or until the thick mixture starts to bubble (this takes the acrid flavour of the flour out of the recipe).
- Carefully take the hot jug out of the microwave. Add 1/2 cup of the milk and whisk well until combined.
- Stir in the remaining milk, the mustard powder and the grated cheese.
- Microwave in 30-second sessions, whisking each time. When the mixture is nice and thick - it is done.
- Mix in the cooked pasta, divide into four plates and top with cheese.